Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Margot l'escargot.







So today I tried escargot for the first time ever. The texture was slightly troubling--initially I thought it would be more on the slimy side, but it turns out that it's more chewy and rubber band-like. I went to Jardin de L'orangerie--the famed gardens of Empress Josephine and home to about one million storks. It was beautiful and full of flowers. Also they have a zoo. I received several lessons in biology watching the animals. We also saw the building where the Council of Europe meets (not the same as the European Union) and the European Parliament. After this, I went with Michele to her aerobics class (she is the instructor). The whole time she kept asking me if I wanted to go to her gymnastics class. She said I could participate with her students if I wanted and afterward they were having a cookout because it was their last class for the summer. I was thinking the whole time: I can't possibly do gymnastics. Once 30 set in, my body stopped working the way it is supposed to. I envisioned myself dying from falling off the balance beam or hitting my head as I tried to vault or decapitating myself on the uneven bars. It wasn't until we were leaving that I finally realized she meant an aerobics class. That I could handle--except it was taught in French. This made things interesting. But, nonetheless, I worked up a sweat to the Beach Boy music that she played whilst I did my lunges and squats. Probably the sweat was due more to the lack of air conditioning than to the amount of effort I was exerting. Well, it's about time for me to enter the deep slumber that comes after a weary day--au revoir.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Zoo's are cool no matter what continent you're on. Also, I imagine escargot is managible with the right amount of garlic and butter. Hope to see you soon.
P.