Monday, June 16, 2008

The cows in France are white


I took a train ride from Paris to Strasbourg today. Except for the times I was drooling on myself in a deep slumber, I was enthralled by the beautiful countryside of France full of white cows. I guess this would explain their excellent cheese. I also enjoyed a cafe au lait. I walked around Strasbourg for a little while and found a statue of Gutenberg. I did not see the printing press. This makes up for my frustrating morning. First, I had to buy train tickets from someone who spoke little English. Then I had to figure out how to find the correct platform to board. As I was waiting in the train station, French soldiers with machine guns kept walking through the station. When I finally boarded the train, I forgot to have my ticket stamped. So when the conductor walked through the cars checking tickets, he explained that the next time I rode the train I had to have my ticket stamped or I would be charged 10 euro. My last challenge occurred when I had to call my most gracious hostess for a ride from the train station. I realized most clearly at this point how much of my French I had forgotten. I had this moment of sheer panic as I looked at the phone and tried to make out the directions for use. I tried my credit card to no avail. Then I asked a man what to do--me speaking broken French and him speaking broken English. I found out that I had to spend $10 to buy a phone card to make a 2 minute call to Caroline. It was magical after I stopped panicking enough to figure out how to use the pay phone. My jet lag is slowly dissipating and I look forward to more sightseeing tomorrow.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yea for Kelli! We always knew you could do it.

All of Murray is behind you (mostly because you're the only one who took a jet to a different continent). We know you will be a great ambassador for our school. You should take it upon yourself to warn people on the trains. They need to have thier heads safely inside the car when the doors close. Because, getting your head caught in an automatic door is crazy.

Anonymous said...

I am so glad you have safely arrived. Hopefully once you figure everything out the trip will only get better.
I look forward to reading more about your trip.
-bliss

Anonymous said...

When you stated that the cows in France are white, it got me wondering... Are cows always in fashion because they are always wearing leather? Are the cows in France, the fashion capital of the world, even more-so because they are wearing a color of bovine purity?
Discuss among the French and get back to me~
Jennie

Anonymous said...

Cows and bathrooms? You travel all the way to France and all we get are cows and bathrooms? You could have gone to West Virginia to see cows and bathrooms!(In West Virginia they call them Outhouses).
As for the Mona Lisa...when the Louvre gets Dogs Playing Poker painted on velvet....then I will be impressed! (Just kidding, loving your commentary...keep it coming)
T. White

kelli said...

Jennie, yes, the cows are always on the cutting edge of fashion here in France. White leather is tres chic!
T. White, I find French cows and French bathrooms terribly interesting. But I'm working to include other areas of interest in my blog. Thanks for reading.