Friday, June 20, 2008

I miss my top sheet and half and half for my coffee.






Today I went with Michele to pick up her daughter, who is 13, at a camp. Students are still in classes here and won't be done until next week. The school sent about 55 students this age to a week long outdoor camp that involved orienteering less the cross-country running. So this means that the teachers release groups of 5-6 thirteen-year-olds with a compass and a topographical map and they must navigate their way through 6 different check points. Some of the students remained lost for several hours before they find their way back to the camp. In past years, I've been told, some students resort to hitchhiking when they get too frustrated to find their way via compass and map. They have several activities like this, along with classes, for the entire week. They sleep outside and build their own fires. Today I ate lunch with the PE teachers who run this camp. The mountains where the camp is located are about an hour from Strasbourg. Once we started driving up the mountain the roads got very narrow and windy--please note the pictures. The food we ate was actually Indian, but I had also some famous French cheese, wine and a beer/orange liquor concoction indigenous to this region. Oh yes, and the dessert they severed after lunch was one of the best things I've tasted since I've been here. The closest thing we have to it in America is yogurt, but this had more of a cream cheese flavor and also fresh blueberries. I can't explain it accurately. But it was tres bon! We drove through several small towns that I photographed. It's like watching a Knight's Tale or something when I see these towns. I also saw a Medieval castle in the background but I couldn't get a good photograph. Also please note the purple flower. I was warned several times not to touch them unless I wanted to die.

No comments: