Tuesday, June 17, 2008

The bathroom and the toilet are two separate rooms in France.




I did know that the bathroom and toilet room are two different things long before I came to France. What I didn't realize, however, was that it can be very convenient to have the rooms combined. Say for instance that you enjoy washing your hands after using the bathroom, here in France, you must leave the toilet room and go to the bathroom to do so. Also, there are no top sheets used here--just the fitted sheet and the bed spread. Freezers do not have ice makers, so you buy ice in cube shapes in sandwich size bags. I tried a local favorite here--potato cakes. This is onion, potatoes and some other spices mixed together and then fried. Pretty tasty. The people in Strasbourg are very friendly and the town is amazingly beautiful. I walked up about 350 stairs to the top of a cathedral whose construction began in the 1200s. I could see much of the city. I also took a boat tour. Today there is a big soccer game between France and Italy. This is a huge rivalry because an Italian player insulted a French player who head-butted him in the stomach and consequently was expelled from the game. This resulted in a French loss, so the French are out to redeem their honor today. The whole town is showing evidence of their excitement and their hope for a huge French victory.

3 comments:

Courtney said...

Salut ma amie! Comment ca va? Votre photos est tres belle!....

Ok.. that's enough of that. Christy told me your blog url. Sorry we never got to chat last week. I can't wait to read more of your adventures.

Je t'adore!

court

Anonymous said...

I'm excited to learn more of the French and their toilet practices. It seems, the layout of the toilet and sink discourage people from washing their hands after "going to the bathroom." I hope this won't discourage you.

Actually, the pictures you took are quite breath-taking.

Please tell the good people of Strasbourg, David Weesner says, "Sup..." And, I hope none of their Football players get head-butted. And, the Celtics lead the Lakers 29pts - 24pts in the 2nd quarter. And...I'm sorry about all those Nicolas Sarkozy comments.

Thanks for your time.

Anonymous said...

The picture on the bottom, it is interesting how all of the buildings looked smooshed together.
I enlarged it to see more details and there is one place (that reminds me of Grimmauld Street house in the Harry Potter books because it is sandwiched betweeen two other houses) someone has built their own little terrace on the third floor complete with chairs and plants. I like looking at the details.
T. White