Monday, June 23, 2008

Je suis fatigue!





Today I bought cheesy tourist items to make a display at Murray representing Strasbourg. Then I went on a school field trip to a bowling alley. It's pretty evident when you watch 11 and 12 year olds in France bowl that the sport is an import. Being that it was standardized in New York near the 1900s, it's probably one of the only things France imports from America aside from soda and McDonalds--bowling balls. Also, the language of "strike" and "spare" and "pin" are all English (not having a French translation). You could hear the clump of balls being dropped at about shoulder height as opposed to the distinct sound of a ball rolling as it is set down properly. The average score amongst the group was about 40. But these students had a blast and so did I. I especially enjoyed the Velcro of the French bowling shoes instead of the laces I'm accustomed to, and though my score was not what it should have been, I was able to beat another teacher. Then Michele had me teach her "English" P.E. class (that is, a P.E. class that is taught in all English to more advanced 7th graders). I played a typical French game--Hares and Hunter with them, and then taught them a game from my American camp counselor days--Pin Dodge. Several students received fat lips under my care as they played this version of dodge ball. Luckily I didn't get kicked out of the country. Oh yeah, I forgot to mention that I was transported to school via Michele's scooter. That was a pretty fun ride to drive through the streets of Strasbourg on a scooter. Lastly, one of the student's mothers owns a Brazilian restaurant--so tonight for dinner I ate Brazilian food in France. It was pretty much delicious. I'm worried that my clothes are soon to become too small for me if I stay in France much longer.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Kelly, this is your esl class reading your blog and we want you to read our message we wrote a comment on the day you were at the market. We hope you like it.
everybody says Hi to you.
bye bye

Anonymous said...

Hey ESL class:
This is T. White, what are your hobbies over there? What kind of electives do you have other than gym? If someone gets in trouble in school, what kind of consequences do they give you? and now for the really big question: What do you REALLY think of Ms. Kidwell?
p.s. are the cows really white in France?

Anonymous said...

umm....just thought you should know, Justin Timberlake is in France. He's looking for you.