Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Tooth drama continues





Yeah, so it was an abscess in addition to the cavity. There's nothing quite like having medical problems 4000 miles from home. I just knew after using almost an entire bottle of advil and barely sleeping for yet another night, it was a bad omen. I soldiered on today, not being able to eat due to the large goiter occupying the majority of the roof of my mouth. Then around 5 pm, before our party with the French Rotary and our dinner with St. Etienne's, I went back to my dentist friend. "Oh yes, yes. This is bad. It was not this bad yesterday. This must have been quite uncomfortable today. How do you say "abscess" in English?" I said, "$1000 of dollars worth of dentist bills...." To sum up, he relieved the pressure, but I'm not even close to being done with dealing with this problem. 6 days of antibiotics and a promise of a dentist retreat upon return to the states await me.... On a happy note--it still hasn't cost me a penny...
Our students went to a concentration camp today, as well as a museum on the relocation of people in France during World War II. I was impressed overall with how somber and reflective our students were as they realized the atrocities of the Holocaust and World War II on Europe. Our kids are awesome and it pleases me greatly to see them soaking up this big world and realizing they're just a small piece of a much bigger puzzle.

6 comments:

Courtney said...

Oh Kels! I'm so sorry about your mouth pain. Hang in there. praying!

Whittington Family said...

I'm sooo sorry to hear about your tooth pain! We're enjoying reading your blog and looking at your pictures. William misses you at school.

Denise said...

kelalay i'm so sorry about your mouth. i hope that it gets a little better while you're there so you can eat some good foodz!

Anonymous said...

O'Connor's homebase says "thanks for the awesome blogs" We hope your tooth gets better...
Your students hope you speak French as well as you speak English. We're counting on you to keep us informed!
-Nathan, Victor, Alana, Clara, Erica, Jack, Wyatt, and Britton as well as O'C's Homebase!

Rena Davenport said...

Hope you are feeling better today!

Rena Davenport said...

Thank you Ms. Kidwell for your hard work, dedication and compassion! these kids i know are having the time of their life, not to mention, increasing their cultural awareness. Feel better and enjoy the rest of your trip!